The comments are taken directly from the latest Thurston County inspection reports, which are available at each food establishment, the Thurston County Environmental Health Office and on their website at co.thurston.wa.us / health / ehfood. If you have any questions regarding these reports, contact the health office at 360-867-2667.
Report restaurant complaints, including violations related to COVID-19 restrictions, online via the complaint form here: https://www.thurstoncountywa.gov/phss/Pages/eh-problem.aspx.
Reading inspection notes:
- Particular attention should be paid to the type of violation (red versus blue) and whether the restaurant has a history of red violations or repeated violations.
- Red infractions are those most likely to cause foodborne illness and should be corrected immediately if possible or according to a compliance schedule established by the health worker. Example: not keeping food at the right temperature.
- Violations of blue concern general cleanliness and operating condition and must be corrected according to a compliance schedule established by the health worker. Example: worn floor that needs to be replaced.
- Some common abbreviations: PHF / TCS is a potentially hazardous food / weather control for safety; RTE is ready to eat; PIC is responsible; FWC is a food worker card; The CDI is corrected during the inspection.
Tavern and Meadery Skep & Skein
2106 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Suite B14, Olympia
Sep 27: 0 red; 5 blue.
Comments: The high temperature dishwasher only reached 145 degrees instead of 165 degrees or more for sanitation. The machine needed to be repaired.
Jack in the Box # 8471
110 Trosper Road, Tumwater
Sep 29: 5 red; 0 blue.
Comments: Staff only had one food worker card available. All staff must have a valid food worker card to handle food.
Salon d’Argent SARL
2752 Pacific Ave. SE, Olympia
Sep 30: 15 red; 5 blue.
Comments: Some elements of the upper preparatory cold hold were at 60 degrees rather than 41 degrees or less. The menu lacked warnings to consumers for foods that can be ordered undercooked. Potatoes were found stored on the ground in a cardboard box rather than at least six inches above the ground.
2521, chemin Marvin Nord-Est
October 4: 5 red; 0 blue.
Comments: Staff had expired food worker cards. Current food worker cards are required to handle food.
Wild buffalo wings
1614, boul. Black Lake Southwest, Olympia.
October 4: 10 red; 0 blue.
Comments: Staff had several expired food worker cards. These cards are needed to manage food. Newly sliced ââtomatoes were found at 44 degrees rather than below 41 degrees.
4514, boulevard Lacey South-East, Lacey
October 4: 0 red; 8 blue.
Comments: Three sinks were clogged and did not drain properly. The toilet lacked a sanitary napkin, a disposal container.
244 Madrona Beach Road Northwest, Olympia
October 4: 5 red; 0 blue.
Comments: A worker had an expired food worker card. These cards are needed to manage food.
Nutrition your way
4570 Avery Lane Suite B, Lacey
October 4: 5 red; 0 blue.
Comments: An internal thermometer for food was not available.
Japanese restaurant Koibito
1707 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia
October 4: 30 red; 0 blue.
Comments: The inspector found chopped salad stored under chicken. Salad should be kept away from raw animal foods. In a repeated violation, cooked chicken was found cooling in 3-inch pots rather than 2-inch pots. Repeated violations require re-inspection.
1613 College Street South-East, Lacey
October 5: 0 red; 7 blue.
Comments: The ice maker was dirty with a mold-like substance near the chute. Some items were found stored on the ground rather than 6 inches from the ground as required.
Mexican cuisine El Itacate family restaurant
9018 Martin Way East, Olympia
October 5: 30 red; 0 blue.
Comments: Birria in a plastic container has been poorly cooled. The menu failed to mark raw or undercooked items.
Albertson # 3417, Grocery and Confectionery
3520 Pacific Ave. Southeast, Olympia.
October 5: red 5; 0 blue.
Comments: Chicken and beef were found kept in an outdoor cold hold at 45 degrees rather than 41 degrees or below.
L&L Hawaiian BBQ
1350 Marvin Road North East, Suite H, Lacey
October 5: 35 red; 0 blue.
Comments: A worker had an expired food worker card. Two casseroles of pork were poorly cooled. Some portions of salad were poorly stored at 43 degrees rather than 41 degrees or below.
Bistro and wine bar on the quayside
501 Columbia Street Northwest, Suite B, Olympia
October 6: 10 red, 0 blue.
Comments: Several workers had expired or missing food worker cards. Such cards are needed to manage food. The inspector found shell tags which did not indicate the dates on which the last product in that batch was sold or discarded.
Phoebe’s Pastry CafÃ© on Division
106 Division Street Northwest, Olympia
October 7: 5 red; 0 blue.
Comments: Some quiches have been observed at 45 degrees inside a cold holding unit rather than 41 degrees or less.
Olympia Coffee Roasting Co.
1706 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia
October 8: 15 red; 0 blue.
Comments: A worker had an expired food worker card. These cards are needed to manage food. The inspector discovered that a hand washing facility in the cafÃ© employee area was disconnected from the drain.
- Domino’s Pizza (3225 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Suite 107, Olympia)
- Pizza Hut # 028295 (5765 Littlerock Road Southwest, Tumwater)
- Taco Bell # 31338 (1101 Cooper Point Road Southwest)
- Island Market (3403 Steamboat Island Road NW, Olympia)
- Arby’s # 1866 (2528 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia)
- Capital City Shell (2125 Caton Way South West, Olympia)
- Madres Espresso (3210 Cooper Point Road Northwest, Olympia)
- Albertsons # 3417, Produce Cutting Area, Espresso (3520 Pacific Ave. Southeast, Olympia.)
- Cooper Point Village Mart (3210 Cooper Point Road Northwest, Olympia)
- Target # 607 (2925 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia)
- Target # 1355 (655 Sleater Kinney Road, Southeast, Lacey)
- McDonald’s (715, rue Plum Sud-Est, Olympia)
- Westside Lanes Deli (2200 Garfield Ave. Northwest, Olympia)
- Doos Donuts (1621 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia)
- Albertsons # 3417, Meat Market, Bakery (3520 Pacific Ave. Southeast)
- Starbucks at Target (2925 Harrison Ave. Northwest, Olympia)
This story was originally published October 14, 2021 at 5.30 am.