COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado – Before winter sets in, Colorado Parks and Wildlife wants to complete projects to improve its parks and wildlife areas. But the rangers need help to do all the work.
Over the next six weekends, CPW needs help with improving recreation, including picnic tables, tent mats, and fire pit facilities. As well as clean-up efforts focused on waste in waterways and hazards that threaten aquatic life.
Opportunities in the coming days range from the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) based in Salida to the Pikes Peak Greenway in Colorado Springs at Flagler Reservoir State Wildlife Area at Lake Pueblo State Park, Hugo Reservoir SWA, Brush Hollow Reservoir. SWA near Penrose at Karval SWA Reservoir.
Here are the dates and details of the next volunteer opportunities:
- On September 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., AHRA will lead a revitalization project at the popular Five Points Campground. On the occasion of National Public Lands Day.
- On September 26, 9 a.m. to noon, a clean-up of Monument Creek and the Pikes Peak Greenway will take place from the Goose Gossage Skate Park parking lot on Mark Dabling Boulevard in Colorado Springs. In conjunction with the 8th Annual Stream Week of the Fountain Creek Watershed District.
- October 2, 8 a.m. to noon, installation of picnic tables and fire pits at Flagler SWA Reservoir.
- October 9, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Arkansas River trail clean-up from Pueblo Lake State Park to Runyon Lake. In conjunction with Colorado Lottery Runyon to the Res cleanup efforts. Register before October 1st.
- Oct. 16, 8 a.m. to noon, installation of picnic tables and fire pits at the Hugo SWA reservoir.
- October 23, 9 a.m. to noon, cleaning of the Brush Hollow SWA tank.
- Oct. 30, 8 a.m. to noon, installation of picnic tables and fire pits at the Karval SWA reservoir.
You can visit CPWconnect.state.co.us and use the calendar to register as a volunteer.
Volunteers must wear closed shoes, long pants and sunscreen; bring work gloves, plenty of water and a snack.
In the South East region of CPW, volunteers contributed over 45,000 hours in 2020. The value of this time exceeds $ 1.3 million.
For questions or more information about volunteering with CPW, please email Jeanette Lara, Volunteer Coordinator for CPW South East Region at [email protected].